Going Light and Bright in the Master! | WHITE HOMES

Hey there! I kicked off my no spend month (see more about that here) by continuing some working in our master bedroom. This room has been going through a redo for, uhhh…years. I don't even remember when I started, it's been that long. Madness. Like most people, this is the room I tend to focus on the least, even though it's where we spend most of our time. (Who cares if our eyes are close for most of that?)

So anyway, it's been slow going. I don't really have that much left to do, but the rest of the painting has been daunting. The ceilings go up quite high in the room and my hands are sweating as I type at the thought of getting up to the highest point. It isn't fun. But enough is enough -- I'm tired of having our pretty dark paneled wall, mossy green walls, and only one light gray one finished: 
Dark and light gray walls in bedroom
The other walls are all going this lighter color -- years ago I couldn't decide between a dark and cozy bedroom and a light and bright one, so I went with both! :) 

I shared the difference that new color made on that wall above here. That was six months ago. :) I really do like the old gray green color but it had been 11 years since I put that up and it was time for a different look. The new light color has completely changed the feel in this room! 

Here's a look at how high the ceilings go (with the old colors -- tornado watch on the walls and mossy aura on the fireplace wall) and why I have put this off for years!: 
Mossy Aura paint color, Lowe's
There's a little wall next to the fireplace that I have changed out numerous times over the years. I've never felt like it was quite right.

I had a settee there for some time, and the frames were up for years:
Tornado Watch paint color, Lowe's
This little spot is where I sit and put my makeup on so it needs to be comfy -- that settee was OK but was way too big for that spot. The cats tore it up too. 

I added some DIY art later, but the combo of all that dark felt so heavy and a bit depressing: 
DIY watercolor art

I knew the paint was going to get lightened up eventually (just didn't plan on it taking me this long). Last summer I found a new chair instead of the settee and it made a BIG difference. I saw a much lighter space coming together and I loved it. 

I bit the bullet the other day and started painting these two walls -- it takes a couple coats to cover the darker green but SO worth it! Late last year I found these beautiful prints (from HomeGoods) and finally hung them:
mirrored frames

I absolutely LOVE the colors. The mirrored frames are so pretty too. 

This area has finally started coming together - love it!:
fireplace in bedroom

I'm considering looking for one more of these framed prints to make this even taller, but I'm not sure I'd love it. The fireplace wall is getting some simple trim work and that will come after this no spend month is over. I cropped out the wall to the right that is still the dark green color. ;) It's the biggest wall and I hope to start tackling that one today. I want this painting done! 

This pretty art really transformed the space!:
Sitting area in master bedroom

I switched out the bench at the end of our bed for one from another room and love it in here. The new chair and placement works SO much better too: 
sitting area bedroom

I can't stress enough the difference a can of paint can make! This is called Whitestone -- it's a Benjamin Moore color but I have it mixed in Sherwin Williams. One gallon did two coats each on this wall, the fireplace wall and the wall I showed you on the other side of the room. Awesome!

I love this change so much I'm determined to get that last wall done, even though I may have to hire out someone to do the tippy top of it. :) *sweats*

Because I love a good before and after, here you go:

whitestone paint benjamin moore
I love when it finally comes together! Lots of changes still to come, stay tuned! I'm off to finish up this paint!

Here's some other posts you may like from this room: 
Chunky baseboards without removing the old ones

Post a Comment

 
Top